Sunday 28 December 2014

A Year in Review



With only three days left of 2014 and with Christmas over and thoughts of the new year ahead - we start thinking about the year that has passed and what to expect from the new one. There's nothing quite like a new year to pull you out of your slump of passing days and become just how aware time is moving.

2015 will see me turn 25, an age that sees me on this world for a quarter of a century and closer to 30 than I would like to be. 25 was always a year I tried to envision myself at, imagining I'd be well established in a career, living in a nice place and with plenty of money and a boyfriend. LOL.

In reality, I'm writing this in my freezing studio apartment, alone and preparing leftovers for dinner. It's funny how life works out but if you learn anything in your mid twenties it's that your teenage views of life in your twenties were severely misjudged - especially for my generation.

This past year seems to have sped past, but then they always do. I'd like to think this year has been slightly more positive and productive than the year before. For one thing, it didn't involve major surgery and I did walk 13.5 miles for a good cause. I also got to visit Barcelona for my 24th birthday, a gorgeous city which involved even more walking and a fabulous cocktail bar.

For my 25th, I'm looking at going to New York - mainly because I've wanted to go again, it's a good time to go and if it's one thing that's going to make me forget turning 25 - it's the bright lights and big city of New York - my one true love.

But first, the start of the year sees one of my best friends having a baby and I can't wait - it's been amazing watching her grow over these months and I can't quite fathom her with a baby, that is part her, that she grew for nine months. Reproduction is weird. Especially when it's your best friend and feels like it could almost be you. It's going to be an interesting time and reminds me all too much that we're growing up from the 16 and 17 year olds that met 8 years ago at college, used to get drunk on the train and go to underage gigs.

I've learnt not to try and plan or guess your year ahead. The thing that often scares me about a new year is that you don't know where you'll be by the end of it. So bring on 2015, bring on babies, bring on New York and bring on the unknown.

No comments:

Post a Comment