Monday 3 May 2010

Girl Power.

Hello, yes I've been missing for ages. I'm very sorry, I'm a bad blogger. But now my uni assignments are over, and I have a summer of New York and Florida to look forward to, my blog should be a lot less boring. I promise.

Now, on to today's topic. Feminism has always been a passion of mine, from admiring the Spice Girls back in nineties to standing up for my beliefs today. I feel it is so important for women to stand up tall and fight for their rights.

We've been through a lot in the last 100 years, from fighting for the vote to fighting for equal pay, we will not stop fighting until we are treated equally. You may think women have nothing left to fight for; we're in high paid jobs, becoming millionaires and taking over politics. Yet women are still paid on average 80% less than men. In 2010, surely this can't be right or fair?

I have always aimed for the top, even as a child. I always wanted to be best in class, and end up in a successful job that was my dream. That dream turned into journalism, and I'm going to keep striving for it until I get it. I will ignore those that tell me I can't, but take on board the advice I am I given, we all learn somewhere.

In the words of Destiny's Child, I'm an independent woman. I have been single for longer than I care to remember, but I won't let it get me down. I don't need a man to make me feel complete. I hear so many girls saying they can't do things because they're worried what their boyfriend will think, or he will get jealous, or he doesn't like it. Since when do you let a man tell you what to do?
At the risk of scaring off any chance of getting a boyfriend ever, I could never imagine myself adhering to some man, and doing what he says. I know relationships need compromise, I understand that, but if I don't agree, it's not happening.

If you want to go out with the girls and get drunk, do it. You don't have to phone and text him, keeping him updated on every minute of your whereabouts. He does not own you, you are your own person.

Feminism is not about burning bras and hating men. You can be a girlie girl, you can care about your appearance and you can fancy bad boys. The main point is, your thinking for yourself. What you do, you do for you.

I'm proud to be a women, it's great. I love how far we've come. I love how amazing, pretty and great we all are. We've come a long way, but there is still a way to go. Girls, feminism is not a dirty word, stand up for your beliefs. Many women fought for that for us.

No comments:

Post a Comment