Thursday 25 June 2009

RIP Michael Jackson

I was planning to write a new blog on here, now that marking is over. But I didn't expect it to be under these circumstances. Here I was all ready to rant about my ridiculous love life, then news breaks that Michael Jackson has died, after suffering a cardiac arrest.

Its the kind of news, that you can't quite believe. The kind that takes a while to sink in. I know I didn't know him personally, but there are so many people in the world, that are going to be affected by this news. We all have our own opinions about his personal life, but there is no denying that he was one of the most important things to happen to music. He was an icon, a legend, and he has inspired so much of the music that is in our charts today.

I grew up in the 90s with his music being played in my house. He's had a career that's spanned 5 decades, and is one of the most recognisable icons in pop. You cannot deny his music is amazing, albums such as Thriller and Bad will go down as important music milestones. He was only 51 years old, I thought he had decades left. His health suffered many blows over the years, but I don't think anyone expected it would come to this.

I was due to see MJ in February during his massive tour at the O2. I was so excited, finally getting my chance to see the King of Pop live. The man has such aura and such a legendary status, I didn't know what to expect, but I knew it would be exciting. I had feelings something would go wrong, that I wouldn't get to see him. But I didn't think he would die. I thought he was invincible.

My thoughts are with his children, his family and friends. But lets not forget the fans, who are also suffering. So many will be affected by this news.

I am deeply saddened by the news, he was a crucial part of my musical education. He introduced me to so many amazing songs, and I couldn't help by be in awe of his dancing, his stage presence, his outfits. Now that his life has ended, we know that the fifty years he had, were hugely eventful, and he had an amazing life. Through ups and downs, he has had the support of his family and fans. Now in death, he will never be forgotten.

But it disappoints me so so much, that I will now not to see him at the O2. It sounds selfish, it sounds silly, when a man has lost his life. But I wanted to be part of history, I wanted to see him on that stage doing what he does best. I can't help but feel bitter that it won't happen now. There are rumours that we won't get refunds. Most likely vicious rumours to generate anger, but if true, I think its completely disgusting. Though we are all saddened by his death, we shouldn't have to pay for a show we will never get to see.

I'm really going to miss this man. I don't care about peoples opinions and allegations. He was an important musical icon, and he will never be replaced. During the somewhat, more sensible hours of today, I'm going to devote my time to listening to his timeless tunes, and try and let the news sink in.

Its a really sad day. Rest in peace, Michael Jackson. A complete and utter legend.

No comments:

Post a Comment